Thursday, March 17, 2011

Assignment 7 - Shana/Tony/Lily/Teri/Dave

Hey Truth-seekers!

We were lagging a little on the chiasm but most of you got yours done, so way to go.  Make sure you get a chance to look at the one I posted for a different, perhaps more detailed, perspective.

We are going to skip over the outline part of the inductive method because, in this case, the chiasm is the structure of the passage, and an outline wouldn't make much sense when the chiasm is used as a literary method of arranging the content (structure).  This happened with our passage last semester as well.  We tried to force an outline that wasn't really there.

This next assignment is very straightforward.  We are going to do some CULTURAL ANALYSIS on this passage next.  To understand the message of a passage (what it meant to the original hearers), we need to understand the historical and cultural background behind the writing.  For your assignment this week, LIST A FEW WORDS OR THEMES FOUND IN THIS PASSAGE THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT (SPECIFICALLY, THEIR CULTURAL BACKGROUND).  Then, I will pick a few from your lists and supply you with some readings on those words/themes.  Sound good?  Great!

Please post by Thursday, March 24 @ midnight!

Thanks!  EVERYONE can get in on this step!
Clay

4 comments:

  1. This is for Isaiah 43:14-21 --

    I'm really happy I'm taking this study. It's very cool to look at a passage and study it in such a way that you can really get into a deeper, richer understanding.

    I think this cultural step is going to be one of my favorites as it makes sense that the Bible was written for a particular culture and that we can extrapolate it's meaning to us today in light of it's cultural significance and meaning.

    Some words that stand out to me as either lost on our culture today, or I think could have significant or important meaning back when this was written are:

    Redeemer (I think this may be significant)

    Holy One of Israel (probably has a specific meaning other than the obvious)

    LORD with all caps, I think you said that means something different since there are many title for God.

    Babylon (Lot's of meaning in one word. A whole history)

    Chaldeans (Same as Babylon... a whole history)

    Jackals and Ostriches (would be good to know if there were any particular characteristics of these animals that were used as metaphors. Would be good to know why they were used specifically instead of leaving it "wild beasts".

    Wilderness (I think I may have a different view of what this is in my head. Would be good to know what that meant back then, if not for meaning, simple curiosity.)

    Chosen people (I believe that is packed with meaning and history as well)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony awesome post! I feel the same way about the "wild beasts" I was wondering if there was any metaphors as well with these chosen animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey my co-study group, I'm still here well and alive by God's mercy and love. Praise the LORD for He is my Healer.
    V.17 chariot and horse, army and warrior that are not commonly use today.
    v. 18-19 Remember not the former things...Behold I am doing a new thing. What is the significance of this phrase?
    v.21 the people whom I formed...declare my praise. how important this people are

    ReplyDelete