Thursday, March 17, 2011

Assignment 7 - Danielle/Sandy/Larry/Tamara/Alex

Hey Truth-seekers!

We were lagging a little on the chiasm but most of you got yours done, so way to go.  Make sure you get a chance to look at the one I posted for a different, perhaps more detailed, perspective.

We are going to skip over the outline part of the inductive method because, in this case, the chiasm is the structure of the passage, and an outline wouldn't make much sense when the chiasm is used as a literary method of arranging the content (structure).  This happened with our passage last semester as well.  We tried to force an outline that wasn't really there.

This next assignment is very straightforward.  We are going to do some CULTURAL ANALYSIS on this passage next.  To understand the message of a passage (what it meant to the original hearers), we need to understand the historical and cultural background behind the writing.  For your assignment this week, LIST A FEW WORDS OR THEMES FOUND IN THIS PASSAGE THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT (SPECIFICALLY, THEIR CULTURAL BACKGROUND).  Then, I will pick a few from your lists and supply you with some readings on those words/themes.  Sound good?  Great!

Please post by Thursday, March 24 @ midnight!

Thanks!  EVERYONE can get in on this step!
Clay

5 comments:

  1. I would like to understand what the people of that time used these words as. This is a super simple assignment, Verse 20 is peculiar because for me, he could be talking about an aquifer or rain :)

    V17- Quenched like a Wick

    V19- Percieve

    V20- I give water in the wilderness

    ReplyDelete
  2. SANDY ASSIIGNMENT 7

    CULTURAL BACKGROUND FOR:

    VS 20 THE WILD BEASTS WILL HONOR ME, THE JACKALS AND THE OSTRICHES.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are a few words that I "think" I know but I wouldn't mind clarification.
    VS:17, extinguished, quenched like a wick
    VS: 19, it springs forth, I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.
    VS: 20, to give drink to my chosen people
    VS: 21, that they might declare my praise

    ..... The last two vs I pretty much understand but to me the wording sounds funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry I like your post.... I do see a water theme, also I like the word you used "aquifer"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the leads Larry, Sandy, and Danielle!

    ReplyDelete